Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) as Indian Party Notified
[RBI Circular No. 131 dated 19th May 2014]
Sub: Overseas Direct Investments – Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) as Indian Party
Attention of the Authorised Dealers (AD) is invited to Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of any Foreign Security) Regulations, 2004 notified by the Reserve Bank vide Notification No. FEMA.120/RB-2004 dated July 07, 2004 and amended from time to time.
2. On a review, it has been decided to notify a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), registered under the Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008 (6 of 2009), as an “Indian Party” under clause (k) of Regulation 2 of the Notification ibid. Accordingly, an LLP, may henceforth undertake financial commitment to / on behalf of a JV / WOS abroad in terms of the extant FEMA provisions under Regulation 6 (and regulation 7, if applicable) of the Notification ibid.
3. Necessary amendment to the Notification ibid has been issued vide Notification No. FEMA.299/2014-RB dated March 24, 2014 (copy enclosed), which is effective from the date of publication in the Gazette i.e. May 07, 2014.
4. The AD banks shall report the financial commitment/s undertaken by an LLP in Form ODI Part I and II and also other reporting (APR, disinvestments, etc.) as per the extant reporting requirements.
5. AD - Category I banks may bring the contents of this circular to the notice of their constituents and customers concerned.
6. The directions contained in this circular have been issued under Sections 10(4) and 11(1) of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), 1999 (42 of 1999) and are without prejudice to permissions/approvals, if any, required under any other law.