Pre Bali Talks for WTO
Accord Fail in Geneva
India
“Stumbling Block” on Food Subsidies, Working under US Pressure?
Marathon talks on the World Trade Organisa-tion’s first-ever worldwide trade reform in Geneva
failed early on 25 November to agree on a text to put to ministers who meet in
Bali next month.
But the final Geneva negotiating session finished at 7am
without agreement.
Unresolved issues include an Indian crop stockpiling plan
that is exempt from WTO subsidy rules and a challenge to the U.S. economic
embargo on Cuba. Turkey also has concerns about new rules on transit, while
there is Central American resistance to demands to stop using customs brokers
to handle trade.
The fate of the agreement to streamline customs procedures
and speed up global trade could now hang on whether the ministers can overcome
remaining differences when they gather early next month at the WTO’s biennial
conference in Bali. The International Chamber of Commerce says the deal would
add $960bn to the world economy and create 21 million jobs, 18 million of them
in developing countries. It would also revive confidence in the WTO as a forum
for trade negotiations.
The proposed accord includes elements of the Doha round of
trade talks, which began in 2001 but repeatedly failed to produce an agreement
over the subsequent decade.
WTO Director-General Roberto Azevedo
has forced diplomats from the 159 member countries through a punishing 10 weeks
of talks to try to agree a text for the ministers to rubber-stamp.
People involved in the talks said negotiators had come very
close to a deal, although progress at times had been glacial. “We spent nine
hours on one paragraph this morning. Once again, a near-death experience,” one
participant said late on Sunday, 24 November.
Azevedo will address the WTO ambassadors at a meeting of the trade
body’s General Council on Tuesday, 26 November, which will formally submit
their work to the ministerial conference.