Special Vigilance on Election Period
Election Intel Committee Meets to Monitor Funds Transfers
[CBIC Instruction No. 01/2019-Customs dated 18 March 2019]
Sub: Stepping up of preventive vigilance mechanism by CBIC field formations during the 17th Lok Sabha election process.
In the context of elections for the 17th Lok Sabha, the Election Commission of India (ECI) conducted a meeting of Multi-Departmental Committee on Election Intelligence on 15.3.2019. The ECI highlighted that the election expenditure monitoring mechanism, with its two thrust areas of keeping track of the legal expenditure incurred by candidates and political parties, requires coordination among the various expenditure monitoring teams and the agencies tasked with enforcement. The Commission desires that all enforcement agencies should have proper sharing of information for coordinated action. In this regard, the Press Note issued by ECI vide No. ECI/PN/30/2019 dated 15.3.2019 may kindly be referred to (copy enclosed).
2. In view of the above, I am directed to request that:
• All the formations and officers under your jurisdiction should be duly sensitised to step up the preventive vigilance mechanism to rule out illicit movement of currency and commodities;
• Suitable directions may be given to the formations and officers under your jurisdiction to conduct effective checking and surveillance during the election period to curb illegal activities;
• Intelligence units under your jurisdiction may be directed to gather information and develop intelligence to effectively accomplish this task;
• Mobile squads and special teams may be constituted to target sensitive areas, commodities and suspicious entities;
• All out efforts should be made to detect and seize illicit currency, liquor, gold, FICN, NDPS, and other contraband items;
• Strict vigil should be maintained on domestic as well as cross border movement of vehicles, trains, and private chartered nights as well as commercial flights.
3. Effective endeavour to accomplish the desired tasks requires coordinated efforts on the part of different Government agencies. Hence, it is imperative that intelligence and detection/seizure information be shared with other Government agencies on a real time basis. Close coordination should be maintained with Election Authorities as well.
4. Detections made, and results achieved may be brought to the notice of the Board on a day to day basis.
Encl: As above.
F. No. 394/2112019 Cus (AS)