All Show Cause Notices (SCNs) and Adjudication Orders in Customs Must be Issued through DIGIT from 1 April 2018
· Data Entry of SCN and Adjudication Orders in DIGIT by 31 July 2018
[CBEC Instruction No.5/2018- Customs dated 28.03.2018]
Subject: Completion of Data Entry in DIGIT; Issuance of Show Cause Notices and Adjudication Orders through DIGIT.
The Board and the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence have repeatedly emphasised the importance of timely completion of data entry in DIGIT by all formations and the need to rely on DIGIT as a complete database for Customs offences.
2. Use of DIGIT as the single source of Customs offences would be possible only when all concerned formations complete the task of data entry in DIGIT and keep it updated. Failure in keeping the offence database up-to-date would hinder the flow of vital information, its exchange and its timely utilisation and would thus jeopardize the enforcement and risk management objectives of the Department.
3. In this background, it had been decided that all formations would complete data entry in DIGIT by 31st March, 2018. However, some formations have represented that the task of entry of data in respect of old cases would require more time. Keeping in mind the practical difficulties faced by the field formations, the Board has decided to extend the time limit by a further period of three months. Accordingly, data entry of all cases should now be completed by all formations before 31st July, 2018.
4. It has been further decided that from 01.04.2018, all Show Cause Notices (SCNs) and adjudication orders must be issued through DIGIT. It must also be ensured that SCNs are issued well within the stipulated time period and are not delayed till the last day. Board shall be monitoring the developments through DR1 and failure of zones/formations to complete the task within the stipulated time period or non-issuance of SCNs and adjudication orders through DIGIT shall be viewed very seriously.
5. This issues with the approval of the Board.
No. 391/40/20 17-Cus(AS)