Mumbai Waste Management Ltd, Mumbai Lab Notified for Waste Oil Sample Testing
· Chemical Laboratory at JNCH under Renovation, not Prepared for Testing As of Now
[JNCH Public Notice No 108/2019 dated 06.12.2019]
The following Public Notice was issued by the Office of the Commissioner of Customs, (NS-V) Jawaharlal Nehru Custom House, Mumbai
Sub: Testing of furnace oil/fuel oil/waste oil
Attention of importers, Customs Brokers, other members of Trade and Industry is invited to the Circular No 33/2001- Cus dated 04/06/2001 issued by Central Board of Excise and Custom. The said Circular in the initial para stipulates that
“The product imported should be subject to certain minimum screening tests for acidity, ash contents, sediment and water to consider whether any imported product is a regular grade furnace oil or fuel oil and these should be classified as off-specification furnace oil or waste oil.”
2. It is to bring to the notice of Trade, Importers, Custom Brokers and various associations that the Chemical laboratory at JNCH is not equipped to test, whether the sample of abovementioned oils or otherwise, is hazardous or non-hazardous. The Chemical laboratory at JNCH is under renovation and is being equipped for testing such hazardous or non-hazardous nature of the sample. Till such facility is put in place in Chemical laboratory at JNCH, it has been decided to nominate the following laboratory to carry out the test only to determine whether the given sample is hazardous or non-hazardous. The address of the notified lab is as under:
Mumbai Waste Management Ltd, Plot No P-32, MIDC Taloja, Taluka – Panvel, District Raigarh, Navi Mumbai-410208
4. The following procedure is being prescribed for carrying out the testing in order to save the time for taking decision regarding importability of the goods, in cases where assessing group prescribes the test of hazardous / non-hazardous nature of the sample.
a. When the assessing group prescribes the test of hazardous / non- hazardous nature of the sample, the assessing officer in the group shall order for drawal of three samples. First sample shall be sent to Chemical Laboratory at JNCH. The Chemical laboratory at JNCH shall test the same and report accordingly for all aspect as per Test Memo except the hazardous / non-hazardous nature of the goods.
b. Simultaneously, the second sample shall be sent to the laboratory nominated in Para 2 above to carry out the test only to determine whether sample is hazardous or non-hazardous. The cost of this testing shall be borne by the importer / owner of the goods as per section 145 of the Customs Act 1962.
c. The third sample shall be retained by Central Sample Cell.
d. Based on the test reports of Chemical laboratory at JNCH, if it is reported that the sample does not meet the criteria of off-specification fuel oil/furnace oil/waste oil and thereby does not require the testing for hazardous or non-hazardous as per Circular No 33/2001- Cus dated 04/06/2001, the group shall finalize the assessment without waiting for the report of the second sample. In case, test report of Chemical laboratory at JNCH declares the sample as off-specification fuel oil/furnace oil/waste oil, the group shall finalize the assessment only after receipt of test reports of second sample.
e. In all other cases where hazardous /non-hazardous nature of sample is one of the requirements in Test Memo, the assessment shall be done after receipt of both the test reports.
5. This public notice should be considered as Standing Order for the purpose of officers and staff of JNCH.
6. Any difficulty in implementation of this public notice may be brought to the notice of Joint Commissioner of Custom in charge of Chemical Laboratory, JNCH.
F. No. S/16-09/2019-20/LAB/JNCH