Simplified Procedure for Port Registration of EOUs for Clearance of Imported Goods
[Customs Public Notice No. 117 dated 23rd November 2010]
The following Public Notice was issued by the Commissioner of Customs (Export) Jawaharlal Nehru Custom House on 23rd November 2010.
Sub: Simplified procedure for registration of 100% EOU/EHTP/STPs for clearance of import goods.
Attention of Exporters, Importers, Custom House Agents and other members of the Trade is invited to the CBEC Circular No. 51/2005-CUS dated 09.12.2005 issued from F.No.305/EOU/01/2005-DGEP on the above subject.
2. For clearance of import goods, the EOU/EHTP/STP Units (after setting up of the EOU/EHTP/STP Unit) have to get themselves registered at the port of import (sea port, ICD / Airport / CFS etc.) where from the unit expects to import goods duty free. In case, such port is the Nhava Sheva sea port, the Unit may make application for such registration on plain paper in the form of letter to Dy. / Asstt. Commissioner (100% EOU Section) at Jawaharlal Nehru, Custom House Nhava Sheva, along with copy of PAN Card, supported by the following documents:
a) Copy of LOP
b) Copy of Private Bonded Warehousing License under section 58 of the Customs Act
c) Copy of IEC Certificate
d) Copy of Green Card
e) Bank attested signatures of authorized signatories of the EOU/EHTP/STP Unit
f) Passport size photograph of Director/Proprietor/signatories
3. On receipt of such complete application, the 100% EOU Section shall, on the same day, send a letter through fax with copy of Private Bonded Warehousing License referred above and any other relevant particulars for authentication/confirmation from the jurisdictional DC / A C in- charge of the unit. The faxed papers shall also be sent by Registered Post. Reply shall be ensured from jurisdiction within 5 days by fax and registered post. Pendency of reply to this verification should not be the cause of delay in issuing registration certificate which should be issued within 7 working days of the application’s receipt. The format of certificate that shall be issued is enclosed. In case the unit authorizes a CHA to act on its behalf, the authorization obtained by CHA from the unit shall be submitted. In order to delay in clearance of imported goods under the scheme, it is advised that the EOU/EHTP/STP shall endeavour to register themselves well in advance.
4. The Board’s Circular prescribes that once a 100% EOU/EHTP/STP Unit is registered at one port of import, it is not required to get itself registered subsequently in any other port of import for clearance of goods duty free. The import consignments would be allowed clearance on the basis of registration issued at any port of import. However, unless a system of electronic maintenance of all data base of such registration by all Customs Stations all over country and its online availability over custom station is put in place, following manual arrangement may be followed:
(I) In cases where Unit has been registered at other Customs station and importer wants clearance from JNCH, they would submit copy of registration certificate of other custom station. It should be noted that if the certificate issued by other custom station does not contain one or any of the details that feature in the enclosed format, the unit should indicate such details (and countersign them) in the body of their letter. On receipt of such a letter with requisite details, the DC/AC (100% EOU Section), JNCH, Nhava Sheva shall verify the authenticity of said registration certificate and/or details mentioned in the letter by unit already registered from the said port of registration within 5 working days by Fax / Regd. Post. After verification of genuineness of the registration certificate the facility will be allowed provided the verification of warehousing licence as per Para 3 of this Public Notice has been completed by the port of registration.
However, if the other customs House has uploaded their websites with details of the registrations, then customs officers at JNCH would follow procedure as below.
(II) In case of any custom house has uploaded their web sites with details of registration certificates, JNCH officer may cross check applications with the details in these web sites and in case the details are found to be matching, he may make reference to the concerned customs office by fax and to obtain confirmation of the facts of registration. If no reply is received within 5 working days the customs officer at JNCH would proceed to feed the EDI with registration details and allow the importer to effect imports. However, the genuineness of the registration would be cross checked by sending communication by post to the concerned custom station.
5. All existing procedures, for clearance of imported goods duty free from the port of import, as prescribed by the Board from time to time in respect of 100% EOU/EHTP/STP Unit would apply.
6. Difficulty faced in implementation may be brought to notice.