27 Manufacturers including Dell, HP Approved in PLI 2.0 Scheme for IT Hardware
· Scheme covers laptops, tablets, all-in-one PCs, Servers and Ultra Small Form Factor devices
· IT hardware of well-known brands such as Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc will be manufactured in India.
Building on the success of Production Linked Incentive scheme (PLI) for mobile phones, the Union Cabinet led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi had approved PLI Scheme – 2.0 for IT hardware on 17th May 2023. This scheme covers laptops, tablets, all-in-one PCs, Servers and Ultra Small Form Factor devices.
Applications of 27 IT hardware manufacturers have been approved on 18 November, 2023. IT hardware of well-known brands such as Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc will be manufactured in India. The expected outcomes of this approval, over the tenure of the scheme are as follows:
· Employment: total of about 02 lakhs
· About 50,000 (direct) and about 1.5 lakh (indirect)
· Value of IT hardware production: 3 lakh 50 thousand crore rupees (42 billion US dollars)
· Investment by companies: 3,000 crore rupees (360 million US dollars)
Addressing industry captains and media, Minister of Railways, Communications and Electronics and IT Ashwini Vaishnaw informed that “23 out of 27 approved applicants are ready to start manufacturing on day zero”.