Cambodia
Pressurises Small Neighbour Laos on Oil Exploration in Gulf of Thailand
Cambodia will now initiate a
compulsory conciliation mechanism under the UN
Convention on the Law of the Sea
·
Agreement cancelled: Thailand has withdrawn from a 25-year-old joint
energy exploration pact with Cambodia.
·
What was the deal: The 2001 agreement (MOU 44) aimed at joint
offshore oil and gas exploration in disputed areas of the Gulf of Thailand.
·
Reason cited: Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the pact
showed no progress in 25 years, calling the move part of his policy
agenda.
·
Political context: Decision aligns with rising nationalism after
recent border clashes between the two countries.
·
Cambodia’s response: Phnom Penh expressed regret and plans to resolve
disputes under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).
·
Shift in approach: Thailand signaled
preference for direct bilateral negotiations, though it may reference
UNCLOS principles.
·
Background tensions:
o
Two rounds of armed conflict last year
o
~150 deaths and large-scale displacement
o
Ceasefire in place since December
·
Stalled cooperation: The agreement had long struggled due to:
o
Political instability in Thailand
o
Territorial disputes
o
Domestic nationalist opposition
·
Strategic stakes: Offshore hydrocarbons in disputed waters remain a
key economic and energy interest for both nations.
·
Key takeaway: The cancellation reflects how geopolitical
tensions and nationalism can derail long-term economic cooperation, pushing
disputes toward legal or bilateral resolution instead.
[ABS News Service/05.05.2026]
Thailand
on Tuesday (05.05.2026) cancelled a
long-standing agreement with Cambodia to work towards joint
offshore energy exploration, Thailand’s prime
minister said, defying calls from its neighbour to stay the course on the
25-year-old pact.
The
Thai cabinet’s cancellation of the 2001 agreement, which seeks to develop a
framework to jointly explore hydrocarbons in parts of the Gulf of Thailand where
the claims of Thailand and Cambodia overlap, had long been expected and follows
two rounds of armed conflict between the two countries last year.
The
withdrawal was an election campaign pledge of Thai Prime Minister Anutin
Charnvirakul, who earlier this year rode a wave of nationalism stoked by the
fierce fighting with Cambodia to become the first Thai leader to be reelected in two decades.
“Cancelling
the deal is not related to the border conflict with Cambodia, but part
of my policy. It has been 25 years and there has been no progress,” Anutin told
reporters, adding that Cambodia would be informed of the decision.
Cambodia’s
Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn expressed regret
over the termination and said Phnom Penh “has no option” but to settle the
boundary issue under processes outlined in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, or Unclos.
“Cambodia’s
decision to pursue compulsory conciliation under Unclos
reaffirms its commitment to resolving maritime disputes peacefully and in
accordance with international law,” he said in a statement.
Phnom
Penh had recently described Thailand’s plan to withdraw from the agreement, known as
Memorandum of Understanding 44, as “deeply regrettable”, adding it remained
“firmly and consistently committed” to it.
Despite
multiple rounds of meetings, MOU 44 has made little progress since it was
signed, with the process derailed by political instability in Thailand,
intermittent disputes between the two neighbours and fierce opposition from
Thai nationalists.
The
two-track agreement had proposed creating a framework to allow offshore
oil and gas to be jointly explored in overlapping areas while parallel
negotiations take place on formal demarcation.
Thai
government spokesperson Rachada Dhanadirek
said on Tuesday that Unclos would be used as a reference to negotiate directly with Cambodia on maritime
boundary demarcation. Thailand has historically refused to take part in
Cambodian efforts to settle border disputes using international mechanisms,
including the International Court of Justice, insisting those be negotiated
bilaterally.
A
ceasefire has been in place between Thailand and Cambodia since late
December after two eruptions of fighting along large stretches of their
817km (508 miles) border, the first of which ended after intervention by US
President Donald Trump.
Each
side blames the other for triggering both rounds of clashes, which killed close
to 150 people and displaced hundreds of thousands of people.