China Escalates Export Curbs on Japanese Firms After Takaichi’s Election Victory

1.    Fresh Export Controls Announced:
China’s Ministry of Commerce blacklisted 20 Japanese entities and tightened scrutiny on additional firms, signaling continued pressure on Tokyo.

2.    First Since 2025 Debut:
This marks the first time Japanese companies have been added to China’s export control list since its introduction in January 2025.

3.    Major Firms Targeted:
Top military-linked suppliers, including shipbuilding and aerospace affiliates of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, were added to the export control list.

4.    Additional Monitoring List:
Another 20 firms, including automakers Subaru and Hino Motors, were placed on a “monitor list.”

o    This does not impose an outright ban.

o    Chinese exporters must undergo stricter license checks for dual-use (civilian and military) goods.

5.    Market Impact:

o    Shares of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries fell up to 3.6%.

o    Kawasaki Heavy Industries and IHI Corporation dropped over 5%.

o    Subaru declined up to 4.6%.

6.    Political Context:
The measures follow the landslide election victory of Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi earlier this month.

7.    Taiwan Factor:
The dispute escalated after Takaichi’s earlier comments suggesting Japan could deploy its military if China attempts to seize Taiwan.

8.    China’s Justification:
Beijing stated the curbs aim to deter Japan’s “remilitarization and nuclear ambitions,” while asserting law-abiding firms need not worry.

9.    Japan’s Response:
Tokyo has protested the measures and demanded their withdrawal but has not taken retaliatory action so far.

10.  Strategic Signal:
The move suggests China is unlikely to soften its stance despite Takaichi’s strong electoral mandate and signals further deterioration in Sino-Japanese relations.

 

[ABS News Service/24.02.2026]

China blacklisted 20 Japanese entities and tightened scrutiny on a raft of other firms, signaling Beijing won’t drop its pressure campaign against Tokyo even after Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s recent landslide victory.

The Ministry of Commerce added top Japanese military suppliers including the shipbuilding and aerospace affiliates of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to an export control list, according to a Tuesday statement. The move marks the first time Japanese firms were added to the list since its January 2025 debut.

In another measure, Beijing placed an additional 20 entities, including automakers Subaru and Hino Motors, on a monitor list. While not an outright ban, this status subjects Chinese exporters to stricter checks when they apply for a license to provide the Japanese companies with goods that have both civilian and military applications.

“China is clearly not letting up the pressure in spite of the the Japanese PM’s landslide results,” according to Dylan Loh, associate professor at Nanyang Technological University. The rules can “restrict alleged militarization and also deal a blow to these companies directly,” he said.

The measures come on the heels of a broader ban announced earlier this year blocking exports to Japan with any military applications, although the use of the monitor list for the first time signals an expansion of the scope of targets for further export controls.

Japan so far hasn’t directly retaliated against Beijing’s moves. Tokyo has protested the measures to China and demanded their withdrawal, Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Kei Sato told reporters on Tuesday.

The news triggered a selloff in Tokyo’s defense and heavy machinery sectors, with Mitsubishi Heavy shares reversing gains to drop as much as 3.6%. Kawasaki Heavy and IHI Corp. extended losses to fall more than 5%. Subaru shares extended declines to as much as 4.6% after the Chinese announcement.

The curbs mark the latest escalation in a dispute over comments on Taiwan by Takaichi last year, when she suggested Tokyo could deploy its military if China uses force to try and seize Taiwan. Takaichi has refused to withdraw her comments on the island democracy, which China claims as its own territory.

Beijing said the latest moves seek to deter Japan’s remilitarization and nuclear ambitions. The ministry added that law-abiding Japanese entities have no cause for concern, though Takaichi’s calls for higher defense spending have rankled China.

The measures are Beijing’s first punitive actions after Takaichi won a resounding victory in a snap election earlier this month, securing a clear mandate for her policy agenda including a more assertive stance on foreign policy.

After Takaichi emerged with a historic majority, some Japanese officials were hopeful China would have little choice but to soften its tone on Tokyo. The latest curbs suggest Beijing doesn’t intend to back down, unless Takaichi retracts her comments — a scenario that is politically impossible for her at home.