Mexico Counters Tightening of US Trade
[ABS News Service/19.08.2026]
The
government of Mexico has stepped up negotiations with the United States to
contain the U.S. tightening of trade, especially in key sectors such as
automotive and steel, El Pais newspaper reported.
Economy
Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said on Thursday that the negotiating team reviewing
the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA) has asked for a discount on
the 25 percent tariff imposed by the Trump Administration on cars manufactured
in Mexico and exported outside the alliance, and for greater flexibility in the
duties applied to its steel sales.
Negotiations
over the USMCA have entered a new phase of greater scrutiny in which every
industrial sector on the table will be crucial to the economic performance of
its members: Mexico, Canada and the United States. In July, Washington ruled
out the possibility of swiftly renewing the agreement – which supports about
$1.5 trillion in annual trade – for a further 16 years.
Instead,
the world’s largest economy has pushed its partners into a process of detailed,
periodic bilateral meetings in which every trade issue is examined not only as
a business matter but also through the Republicans’ political lens. In that
context, Ebrard also disclosed that Mexico has requested a halt to the
imposition of new tariffs while the treaty review is under way.
“I
brought a study that says: you are charging 15 percent on a vehicle made in
Japan, South Korea, Germany or Morocco, and you want to charge us 25 percent on
the ones we make in Mexico. So give me a discount,
because we buy more US parts than the other countries I just mentioned,” the
official told reporters.
The
report on the negotiations was first published by The Wall Street Journal,
which said that Claudia Sheinbaum’s government presented this counterproposal
to the Trump Administration, which in turn is pushing to raise even further the
rules vehicles must meet to qualify for the agreement’s preferential treatment
for vehicles made in North America. According to the WSJ, the US Trade
Representative’s office has proposed amending the rules of origin to specify
that only cars with 50 percent US components would be covered by the USMCA.
Ebrard
confirmed that his delegation has been persistent in its demands, though he
avoided revealing details about Washington’s requests or the progress of talks.
The two sides will meet again in September. The executive branch had previously
said its review strategy would focus on improving its stance in the automotive
and steel sectors, without outlining a specific plan.