Warner Bros. Discovery Reopens Talks with Paramount Amid Netflix Deal Battle

Paramount’s takeover bid was rejected in favor of Netflix, which wanted only the streaming and studio businesses. Paramount said it would pay more if negotiations were reopened.

1. Deal Talks Restarted

·         Warner Bros. Discovery announced it will reopen negotiations with Paramount Skydance.

·         Paramount has until Feb. 23 to submit its “best and final” offer.

·         Talks were previously ended in December.

2. Background: Netflix Deal Preferred

·         Last year, Warner Bros. Discovery rejected Paramount’s $108 billion full-company bid.

·         Instead, it accepted an $83 billion deal from Netflix for its streaming and studio businesses only.

·         WBD said Netflix’s offer provided better shareholder value.

·         Paramount launched a hostile push to challenge that decision.

3. Paramount’s Revised Offer

·         Paramount has amended its proposal twice since December.

·         Public offer remains $30 per share, but verbally indicated willingness to raise to $31 per share — and potentially higher.

·         New concessions include:

o    Covering WBD’s $2.8 billion breakup fee owed to Netflix.

o    Supporting WBD’s debt costs.

o    Paying $650 million per quarter (starting 2027) if deal delays occur.

4. Investor & Market Pressure

·         Some WBD investors, including Pentwater Capital Management, urged reopening talks.

·         Shares of both WBD and Paramount rose ~3% in premarket trading.

·         Netflix shares are down about 15% this year but rose 1.5% in premarket trading.

5. Leadership Positions

·         WBD CEO David Zaslav and Chairman Samuel A. DiPiazza Jr. signaled openness to a binding superior proposal.

·         Paramount CEO David Ellison questioned whether the Netflix deal could pass regulatory scrutiny.

·         Netflix defended its bid as offering “superior value and certainty.”

6. Contractual Dynamics

·         Under WBD’s agreement with Netflix, it may engage with rival bidders if a “reasonably superior offer” emerges.

·         Netflix granted a seven-day waiver to allow WBD to clarify Paramount’s proposal.

·         If Paramount submits a superior bid, Netflix retains the right to match or improve its offer.

7. Key Issues Under Review

WBD has requested clarifications from Paramount on:

·         Debt financing stability.

·         Conditions allowing Paramount to withdraw.

·         Equity backstop commitments if financing falters.

8. Next Milestones

·         Paramount must finalize its proposal by Feb. 23.

·         WBD scheduled a shareholder vote on the Netflix deal for March 20.

·         The bidding contest could intensify if headline prices rise further.

Conclusion

Warner Bros. Discovery’s decision to reopen negotiations sets the stage for a renewed corporate bidding battle between Paramount and Netflix. With shareholder pressure mounting and financial guarantees under scrutiny, the coming days could determine whether the Netflix deal holds or Paramount succeeds in reshaping one of the biggest media mergers in recent history.

 

[ABS News Service/18.02.2026]

Warner Bros. Discovery said on Tuesday (17.02.2026) that it would restart the deal talks with Paramount Skydance that it ended in December, giving the company another chance at besting Netflix for a deal. Paramount will have until Feb. 23 to negotiate its best and final offer.

Warner Bros. Discovery last year rejected Paramount’s offer to buy the entire company for $108 billion in favor of a deal to sell only its streaming and studios business to Netflix for $83 billion. Warner Bros. Discovery said at the time that Netflix offered the better deal for shareholders. Paramount disagreed and quickly made its case to shareholders through a hostile bid.

In the roughly two months since then, Paramount has amended its offer twice, each time addressing some of the concerns that Warner Bros. Discovery’s board had raised. Paramount’s chief executive, David Ellison, has also raised questions about the Netflix bid, including whether its deal can pass regulatory scrutiny.

Some Warner Bros. Discovery investors, including Pentwater Capital Management, have also raised concerns, encouraging the company to restart talks with Paramount. Shares of Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount Skydance were both up about 3 percent in premarket trading.

To date, Paramount has not publicly raised its offer from $30 a share. But last week, Warner Bros. Discovery said that a senior representative for Paramount had verbally informed a company board member that, if the board authorized talks with Paramount, it would agree to pay $31 a share.

In that conversation, the Paramount representative added that it would be willing to further improve its offer.

“It’s about time the actual headline price bidding heated up in what has to be one of the most inactive corporate bidding wars in history,” Eric Talley, a business professor at Columbia Law School, said.

In a letter to the Paramount board on Tuesday, David Zaslav, the chief executive of Warner Bros. Discovery, and Samuel A. DiPiazza Jr., chairman of the company, said: “We welcome the opportunity to engage with you and expeditiously determine whether PSKY can deliver an actionable, binding proposal that provides superior value.”

In Paramount’s latest offer, it agreed to pay the $2.8 billion fee Warner Bros. Discovery would owe to Netflix if their agreement were terminated, as well as agreeing to back Warner Bros. Discovery’s debt costs. Paramount also said it would pay Warner Bros. Discovery’s shareholders around $650 million in cash, starting in 2027, for each quarter that the deal did not close.

Warner Bros. Discovery said Tuesday that it had requested a number of clarifications about Paramount’s latest proposal. Among them were concerns about the extent of Paramount’s support for Warner Bros. Discovery’s debt costs and the conditions under which Paramount could legally walk away from a deal. It also wanted assurances that Paramount would be willing to contribute more equity if its debt financing fell apart.

According to the terms of Warner Bros. Discovery’s contract with Netflix, it can engage in talks with a rival bidder if it thinks it can lead to a “reasonably superior offer.” Warner Bros. Discovery said in its letter on Tuesday that it did not yet think that Paramount’s offer met that bar — but that Netflix had given Warner Bros. Discovery a seven-day waiver to see if it could clarify its concerns.

“Throughout the robust and highly competitive strategic review process, Netflix has consistently taken a constructive, responsive approach with WBD, in stark contrast to Paramount Skydance,” Netflix said in a statement released on Tuesday. “While we are confident that our transaction provides superior value and certainty, we recognize the ongoing distraction for WBD stockholders and the broader entertainment industry caused by PSKY’s antics.”

On Tuesday, Paramount acknowledged Warner Bros. Discovery’s decision, saying in a statement that it had opted to secure a waiver rather than deeming Paramount’s bid as one that could be reasonably expected to be superior. In doing so, Paramount said, Warner Bros. Discovery did not allow itself “an unfettered right to negotiate without a time deadline.”

“Although the board’s actions are unusual,” the statement said, “Paramount is nonetheless prepared to engage in good faith and constructive discussions.”

If Paramount makes a superior offer, Netflix has the right to improve its own bid. Shares of Netflix have been under pressure since it announced the deal in December, falling about 15 percent this year. Its stock rose 1.5 percent in premarket trading.

Discovery said on Tuesday that it had scheduled a shareholder vote on Netflix’s offer for March 20.